In 1861 Mr. and Mrs. R.A Hindman and family moved to Kaufman and settled. They were members of the Christian Church and staunch in their faith. Finding there were a number of people living in and around Kaufman having the same faith, Mr. Hindman succeeded arousing interest in the idea of meeting together on the first day of the week to break bread in remembrance of Christ.
The little band of believers had no Church building for several years and met from home to home to keep the Lord’s Day, to study the Bible, and sometimes to hear an itinerant preacher.
On July 14, 1877 a building was purchased and remodeled for the meeting of the congregation. On December 8, 1956 a two story colonial residence at 504 South Houston Street was purchased. It was remodeled for educational class rooms and a meeting place for civic organizations. It was burned by fire one week before Easter 1961. It was felt a great loss the congregation who worked hard to make it a beautiful and useful place, but they lost no time in thinking and planning toward a building. They found barracks in Love Field and with the help of an architect a building plan was drawn for the church. The barracks were purchased and moved to 504 South Houston street at the site where the building was burned. The work started on July of 1961 and was completed early part of October. A dedication service was held on October 8, 1961 at 3:00 PM.
Due to the loss of valuable records for the years from 1930 through 1961 it is not possible to give an accurate account of ministers served and the growth of the church.
Following is a partial list of ministers who have served First Christian Church since the year 1929:
Nimo Goldston, Otto Neilson, Harold Rhea, Granville Walker, Tom Waters, Karl Tutt, Claude Pearce, Clifford Parker, Lloyd Kincaid 1962, Gerry Briggs 1963, James Brazelton 1965, Douglas Rose, Gene Prochaska, Randy Ammondson, Newell Hall-1977-80, Dr. Sloan Gentry-1981- 1999, Mike Kearns- 1999 – 2006, Dr. C. Philip Chacko- 2006 to present.
Through the years the church maintained a relationship with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
In 1980 a Texas Historical Marker was unveiled and dedicated at the church honoring the establishment of the church in 1861.
In 2006 the Church name was changed to Grace Christian church by vote of membership.
The church continued to support various causes, civic organizations, Salvation Army, The Genesis Center and most recently the Christian Help Center.
First Christian Church, now Grace Christian Church, has served and loved God and each other for over 150 years.